Large breasts often create a lot of issues for women in their day to day life. Not only do they feel awkward and uncomfortable, but they can also cause a lot of pain and discomfort to the back and neck. Breast reduction surgery is an excellent option to eliminate these issues and improve the overall figure of the woman.
Many questions might arise in your mind before undergoing breast reduction surgery. Dr. Santosh Bhatia, Vanity Cosmetic Clinic’s lead surgeon provides answers to all the questions to help you have a clear insight into the reasons, ideal candidate, consultation, and other such factors before the procedure.
What Is Breast Reduction Surgery?
Breast reduction (also known as reduction mammoplasty) is a cosmetic surgery performed to reduce the size, shape, and volume of the breasts. During this surgery, excess fat, tissues, and skin are removed through the procedure of liposuction or incision from breasts to make them small and proportionate to your body.
What Are The Reasons You Should Consider Breast Reduction Surgery?
Dr. Santosh Bhatia has enlisted certain reasons you should consider Breast Reduction Surgery. Some of them include:
- Back Pain, Neck Pain, Shoulder Pain
Women with oversized breasts are used to back, shoulder, and neck pain. Constantly having a good deal of weight extending from the chest can end up putting immense stress on the shoulders and neck. Some women struggle with poor posture and are even seen to lean forward a bit due to the copious chest which eventually leads to back pain and neck pain. Furthermore, overtaxed bras also fail to provide enough support to the breasts and straps dig into the shoulders, worsening the pain.
- Low Self-Esteem
Many women with large breasts consider them the same as a curse rather than a boon. This is because there are numerous disadvantages hitched to large breasts. Not only do women have to deal with constant pain and discomfort, but oversized breasts also create difficulty while shopping for your outfits. Adding on, if you have a big cup size and small frame, you may feel and look disproportionate. This, as a whole, lowers self-esteem which can be restored after getting breast reduction surgery.
- Trouble Sleeping
Women who don’t have a large chest can doze off easily at night, but this situation is quite different for those having oversized bosoms. Serious discomfort occurs due to the weight of the breasts on the upper region of the body, making it difficult to sleep comfortably. So, if you are also encountering trouble while sleeping and are spending your nights simply turning and tossing, breast reduction surgery is something you should opt for.
- Creates A Barrier In Your Day-To-Day Life
With large and heavy breasts, carrying out physical activities can prove to be difficult or even next to impossible. Women who have oversized breasts face difficulties while doing exercises and vigorous physical activities. Even activities like jumping, swimming, or running can be quite painful for some. In addition to this, some women also have to deal with skin irritation or rashes under the breasts, making it more difficult for them to have a normal, comfortable daily life.
If you are facing these issues and the discomfort of having large breasts, then finding out if you are an ideal candidate for the breast reduction surgery can be a good idea.
What Is The Criteria For An Ideal Candidate For Breast Reduction Surgery?
Dr. Santosh Bhatia of Vanity Cosmetic Clinic, Mumbai, a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon has provided guidelines for women to check whether they are an ideal candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery:
- The candidate can receive breast reduction surgery at any age given that her breasts are fully developed.
- The candidate should not have serious conditions like diabetes or any heart-related problems.
- The candidate should not be overweight.
- The candidate should not be pregnant or breastfeeding.
- The candidate should be a non-smoker or ready to quit smoking for a period of time prescribed by Dr. Santosh Bhatia.
If you fall into the above criteria, then you are eligible to get breast reduction surgery.
What Questions To Ask During Consultation?
Consultation is an important stage of this whole procedure. During the consultation, you have an opportunity to evaluate and assess the doctor, his/her staff, and the facilities and services they are providing. So, it is important that you talk freely with the doctor, clarify any doubts or queries you may have regarding the procedure, and form your overall opinion.
Here is a list of questions to ask the doctor during the consultation:
- What is the procedure for breast reduction surgery?
- What are the risks and complications associated with this surgery?
- How to prepare for the surgery and risks that might occur?
- What kind of technology and equipment are used at the hospital?
- What is the recovery period?
- What steps to take for speedy and comfortable recovery?
- What kind of result should I expect from this surgery? Are there any before-after pictures to be seen?
- Will this surgery be able to achieve the expectations or goals I have set in my mind?
The doctor must answer all your questions and queries clearly. Voice any concerns or doubts you may have and make sure that you are completely satisfied with the provided information, can trust the doctor and are fully prepared for all the aspects of the surgery.
Concerned about Big Breasts?
What To Expect From The Breast Reduction Surgery?
- After receiving this surgery, due to your new breast size and shape, you will be relieved from the pain and discomfort you were facing before the surgery.
- This surgery will also help to boost your confidence and self-esteem as a result of a proportionate body and improved physical appearance.
- You will face no limitations due to your breasts while doing vigorous exercises or any kind of physical activity.
- Breast reduction surgery gives permanent results; however, factors like ageing, weight fluctuation etc. can affect the final result.
- Breast reduction surgery gives immediate and generally satisfactory results.
- Like any other surgery, problems like a reaction to anaesthesia, bleeding, or infection may arise in this surgery.
- Some women may feel temporary or long-term numbness in breasts or nipple area post-surgery.
- After the surgery, you can expect swelling, bruising, and scarring. Swelling and bruising are temporary but surgical scars, though they eventually fade away, are permanent.
- It is extremely rare but some women may not be able to breastfeed or may face difficulty with breastfeeding after the surgery.
- Asymmetry or difference of size or shape may be found between the breasts and the need for additional procedures may arise.
Do not compromise on the quality of surgeons due to cost as doing so can lead you to the verge of numerous risk factors.
Breast Reduction Before/Afters:
We hope that this blog covered answers to all questions that you might have regarding Breast Reduction. In case you have any queries regarding the procedure, you can contact Dr. Santosh Bhatia at [email protected], call on +91 7043477777 or book an online consultation with Dr. Santosh Bhatia who will guide you through the entire procedure.